Monday, September 5, 2011

Death Threats Against Women Bloggers Must Be Stopped

I thought Labor Day would be an appropriate day to share this post. Women have worked hard over the years to break down glass ceilings and make their mark on the business world. I thank the courageous suffragettes, women's rights' activists, and ALL women who have suffered and struggled so I can sit here today and freely express my opinions and viewpoints via the written word.

Domestic violence against women is a cause near and dear to my heart. I had the privilege of working a stint with the CA Partnership to End Domestic Violence and heard Robin Givens speak about her personal domestic violence nightmare when she was married to Mike Tyson.

I was infuriated when I read this blog post by Naomi Dunford, successful entrepreneur of IttyBiz. As a female entrepreneur and blogger, the power and strength behind her words really hit home with me. I'm a big fan of Naomi's blog and love her sassy energy. Her blogging style may not be everyone's cup of tea, but NO ONE has the right to threaten death against another  human being based on what Naomi writes. Death threats equal hate crime, and should never be taken lightly. Whether you are man, woman, or child, NO one has the right to make you feel unsafe online and this is a form of "online terrorism". I definitely won't sit back and allow my voice (or my fellow female writers' voices) to be stifled.

I encourage you to take a stand today and spread this message along with me and Naomi. We will NOT tolerate violence against women - in any way, shape or form! As women (and men who love and support women), we must stand together and fight.

"What you can do:

Today, I’d like to ask you to do a few things for me.
First, please share this. You know how.
Second, do something amazing today – write, create, share – and do it as loud as you can.

WE know we can never be silenced. Now it’s time to show THEM.

They will not stop me. Don’t let them stop you."
As a writer, I allowed my voice to be stifled far too many years. I even had an ex-boyfriend who told me I would never make it as a writer (as a copywriter, I proved him wrong!)

I dedicate my blog post today to Naomi Dunford and ALL female bloggers, writers and creative kindred spirits. I also dedicate to women who have first-hand experienced violence against them, and who have triumphed. Don't EVER let anyone threaten, intimidate or scare you into NOT expressing and sharing who you truly are.

To the cowardly hate mongers: you will NEVER silence our collective female voice and we will not tolerate your violent threats against us. 

1 comment:

  1. We should give freedom for everyone to express how they feel. Whether men or women. So this should be stop. You will never know these women might become famous women in business (blogging).

    ReplyDelete

Therese Pope, Copywriter/Content Developer & Digital Buzz-icist

Content Writing & Marketing Tips ** Online Buzz Branding

** Digital & Social Media Strategies