Monday, May 14, 2012

Choose Your Words Carefully

As a copywriter and content developer, there is one piece of advice I like to pass along to my clients. It's one very simple rule, but it's one that could save them a lot of heartache (and bad publicity) down the road. If you wouldn't say that to your mother, then don't post those words on your social media or blog. 


I just read an excellent article The Power of Our Tongues by author and writer, Randy Mitchell. As a copywriter, I am consciously aware of the energy I create with my words. Since copywriting is marketing focused, the words I create go beyond just a snappy tagline. I develop a cohesive synergy with my words - it goes back to weaving a real and authentic story. 


Remember that words have energy behind them, so it's important to choose your words carefully. Words can take us on a wild emotional roller coaster or words can soothe us, leaving us with a sense of calm and peace.


As an entrepreneur/business owner, you don't have a lot of time to make a good first impression -- and you want your target audiences to remember you for all the RIGHT (and not wrong) reasons.


For content creators, bloggers, and writers, Randy passes along excellent advice: 
"We all strive to give our readers words they’ll enjoy, creating ones they’ll see as positive, educative, informative, and sometimes inspirational. Oftentimes we succeed, other times we fail. Mainly because all words are interpreted differently by everyone, it all depends on their tone, arrangement on the page, and topic being covered."
Before you sit down and write your next blog or blast out a social media update, carefully think about  your words and how consciously-chosen words will positively impact your target audiences. 


The Bard sums it up nicely: 

"Words, words, mere words, no matter from the heart."William Shakespeare



2 comments:

  1. I think you and I have discussed this very topic! Probably more than once! If I couldn't say it or write it to my mom, I'm not comfortable saying it on the internet. I wonder, "Would mom give this a tsk-tsk or an atta girl?" Mom often said, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything." But this does not mean I can't be encouraging, regardless of someone else's comments, book, blog, etc. If I realize I have hurt someone's feelings or said something that came off unkind, I apologize, sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Karen, we've definitely tackled this topic. It's all about really thinking about what we say and write. Don't be knee-jerk and show respect. :)

    ReplyDelete

Therese Pope, Copywriter/Content Developer & Digital Buzz-icist

Content Writing & Marketing Tips ** Online Buzz Branding

** Digital & Social Media Strategies