Yesterday I had a meeting with a business contact that I haven't seen in awhile, and we discussed blogging. She knew she wanted to start a blog, but she didn't know where to begin or what topics to choose. After our blog discussion, I started to think about what makes a blog really stand out and what makes a blog fall flat on its face.
It can be difficult to figure out what topics fit well with your blog readers. I struggle myself with blog topics sometimes, and that's when the trusty search engines like Google come in handy.
Does your blog content feel stale lately? Do you read your blog and don't feel excited by the topics? It might be time to revitalize up your sleepy blog with a fresh, creative spin.
Where do you start? Set aside time to review your blog content and figure out what's missing:
1. Review past posts. Do you spend too much time on topics that only interest YOU as opposed to topics that interest your readers? Your blog is meant for your readers - it's not a platform to get on your soapbox and preach to the world.
2. Do your posts read too long? Too short?
3. How many times per week/month do you write posts? Be consistent - don't blog every few months.
4. Are you speaking 'at' your readers? Is your tone too preachy?
5. Do you include topics centered around timely current events that directly affect/influence your readers? If your blog lacks newsworthy content, check out these helpful resources:
If your blog has fallen short, take some time to review and then revitalize your blog content with new information and topics.