Monday, January 16, 2012

What Stops You From Telling Your Story?

Last week I wrote a pitch for a guest blogging spot for a health/wellness-specific blog. My friend forwarded it to me because of my background and journey with yoga. My friends and family know that I'm Miss Yogini and that yoga is a part of who I am. The criteria of the pitch was to send a brief synopsis about your personal health and wellness story. I sat and thought about it for awhile. I've had a long journey with yoga; yoga has played an integral part in my life and goes beyond just "exercise" for me. I couldn't imagine NOT practicing yoga and meditation. 

As I wrote my pitch, I thought about the twists and turns my life has taken over the years, and how yoga has been the glue that has held me together. I don't think I would even be an entrepreneur if it hadn't been for the positive influence of yoga, and how it's helped me mind, body and soul. No matter how stressful or crazy my day or week has been, I simply return "to the mat" and know all is right in the world...or at least, in my world.

People don't like talking about themselves. I have worked with clients who were "phobic marketers" because they did not want to come across as braggarts. The ego is a funny thing and can be a double-edged sword. But without your ego, you couldn't get up in the morning, put on your clothes and walk outside that door (or sit at your desk, if you work from home!). However, the ego has a mind of its own, and can also turn someone into a narcissistic show-off (as I have seen in social networking groups).

How can you tell your story without coming across like a fake or a boring windbag? Where & how do you start?

We all walk different personal and professional paths. Our experiences make us stand out and set us apart from each other. However, don't let your ego or your insecurities get in the way of telling people your story. 

If are shy and not sure how to overcome your story-telling barriers, try these tips below. Even if it's merely passing along sage business advice that your grandpa once told you when you were younger, that's a step in the right direction...AND it's definitely part of YOUR personal story. 

Create content that resonates honestly with who you are, and what your brand, products and services represent.

Whether you are the manager of a high-end retail clothing store or write ebooks about dog breeding, find your authentic voice and stick with it. The best way to tell your story is through blogging. You don't have to be a Pulitzer Prize winner to write a blog that captures readers' attention. And don't copycat other people's blogging style. Find a style that fits well with your business climate, industry and  your personal voice. Before you start blogging, research other blogs in your industry/niche to get a "feel" for what's out there. Check out my blog editorial tips. 

Do people know HOW to find you? Where can they read your story? 

  • Is your bio hidden on page 5 of your website? Do you even have a bio? 
  • Are your press releases and articles included on your website? 
  • Make sure you have a section on your website or blog (About or Media/Press Section) that organizes your content in one place. It makes it easier for people to quickly find you and to learn about your story. 

When was the last time you searched online for your name or company brand?

Enter your name or company name into Google. What comes up in the search engines? If you don't have ANY information listed about you or your brand, that's not a good sign.

Sign up for a Google Profile and always include a warm, engaging photo on your social media networks. You don't want someone else telling your story for you...tell your own story! Make it easy for people to find you via your picture and online profiles. You want to stand out in a good and positive way -- especially if you have a common name. 

How do you share your story with others online (or offline?) I'd love to know! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Therese Pope, Copywriter/Content Developer & Digital Buzz-icist

Content Writing & Marketing Tips ** Online Buzz Branding

** Digital & Social Media Strategies