Monday, April 16, 2012

Are You a Socially Conscious Entrepreneur?

Mashable had an interesting article that caught my eye this morning, 5 Socially Conscious Startups Innovating for Good. I also wrapped up my Inspiring Women Summit last week, and listened to amazing women who are using their innovation and creativity to make positive changes. I became re-energized as I listened to the speakers share their stories. As a result, the Summit inspired me to sign up as a social action representative/volunteer for the Miss Representation campaign: 
"The film Miss Representation exposes how American youth are being sold the concept that women and girls’ value lies in their youth, beauty and sexuality. It’s time to break that cycle of mistruths.
In response we created MissRepresentation.org, a call-to-action campaign that seeks to empower women and girls to challenge limiting media labels in order to realize their potential.
We are uniting individuals around a common, meaningful goal to spark millions of small actions that ultimately lead to a cross-generational movement to eradicate gender stereotypes and create lasting cultural and sociological change." 
As a female copywriter and marketer, this is a cause that speaks directly to my heart. Young women need positive role models and are constantly bombarded with conflicting, and often sexist, messages within mainstream media. I am a huge fan of inspirational documentaries that spread a vital message to the world. I am now working towards finding a donated space to screen Miss Representation in my local community.

As I reflect upon last week's Summit and the Mashable article, I examined my own social consciousness as a business leader. What contribution can I give back to the world? As a former non-profit fundraiser, my career revolved around helping others and it is what made my job so rewarding. I felt like I was part of a higher purpose - a larger cause that went beyond just me.


Ask yourself this question: are you a socially conscious entrepreneur, and what are you doing to make a difference/impact in your community? I encourage you to take one small step  today - how can you help others and make a difference? There is sheer power and force when people come together and work for a higher cause. Choose a cause that personally resonates with you and where you feel you can leave a positive imprint on our world. 


PS - if you are interested in hosting a local screening of Miss Representation in your city or town, check out MissRepresentation for more information! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Therese Pope, Copywriter/Content Developer & Digital Buzz-icist

Content Writing & Marketing Tips ** Online Buzz Branding

** Digital & Social Media Strategies